Tuesday 5 July 2011

Presents for new babies

I finished 2 quilts for friends having babies.  The first one is the Dr Suess quilt I was working on last month

I intentionally made it wonky and I think it turned out ok.  Certainly, my friends made the appropriate comments when I gave it to them and the new mother stated that orange was her favourite colour.

I also made this couple some buntings to hang in the baby's room.  I have seen them selling for ridiculous prices in some shops and, of course, I thought "I can do that!".  These were really simple to make and it was lucky I had all of the fabric in my stash at home.  I wanted a rainbow effect with every letter of the alphabet included so I made two


I cut the triangles on the bias so that I didn't need to finish the edges, and then attached them to some bias binding. 

I also made a pink bunting for another new mum




Here is the second quilt - which morphed into something a bit bigger than I had originally intended it to be. 


I was pleased to report to my husband that apart from the backing fabric I had everything else at home..  I am sure I will be able to survive a nuclear winter (or earthquakes!?!) and continue to sew because of my well-supplied sewing room!  It pays to be prepared.

At the moment I am working on an entry for the patternreview.com Sewing for Children contest but I'll update the blog with  pictures later

No comments:

Post a Comment