My husband asked if I could sew something for one of his colleagues. In fact, he asked if I could sew two somethings: one with a traditional/classic fabric and the other a little more modern. I decided to use a couple of Oliver + S patterns (now there's a surprise?!)
For the first dress I used an "oldie-but-a-goody" - the music box jumper pattern - and used a fabric that is also an "oldie" i.e. an unnamed Japanese lawn that has been in my stash for about 10 years. I made the 6-12 month size.
I found some perfectly-matched pink mother of Pearl buttons in my button box.
For the second dress I used the Oliver + S croquet dress pattern. I have always been a little ho-hum about this pattern because it seemed more suited to "Downton Abbey" than 2013. But I have never used this pattern before and it was sitting in my filing cabinet waiting to be put together....
I used a red floral Riley Blake fabric called sweetcakes.
Size 6-12 months
flower button with crystal centre
close up of the bow
I was really pleased with how this turned out. So, with this little success under my belt, I decided to tackle another pattern that I have owned for some time but was also indifferent about... the Oliver + S tea party sundress
This time, I made a size 3, lengthened to size 4, for another friend's very tall 2+ year old. The fabric is a quilting cotton named Razzmatazz, and for some reason I had 3 yards of it... I had to fussy cut the bodice and panels although it became very obvious that with such a busy print I couldn't be too fussy!
I used a mustard coloured fabric for the flat binding and cut the binding to 1 1/4 inches, making it a little thinner than suggested.
Close up of bodice. I like the effect of the fabric around the neckline!
Of the three dresses, I think this is my favourite and I particularly like the colours (Yes, MORE purple!!). Initially, I wasn't really sure about the flared skirt but now I like the way the skirt falls and I'm sure it will have a bit of the twirl factor that seems to be so popular/necessary in little girl's clothes.
I also recently sewed up the new Oliver + S library dress for Rosa. My sister said it looked like a school uniform so I added a Clarice Bean badge to the lapel. After all, a great literary work seemed entirely appropriate for a library dress
I cut the front band and the cuffs on the bias
So, another Oliver + S pattern crossed off my list of things to sew.
That is enough for one post but there is still more sewing for babies to show!